Creating new pages
From the pages tab, click on the add new page button.
Choose from one of:
- Top level: The page will be created as a top level page and will usually appear in the navigation bar (depending on your website setup).
- Under another page: The page will be created as a sub page of another page, select the page that you would like it to be a subpage of.
Don't worry if you create your page in the "wrong" place, pages can be moved and re-ordered easily.
Next, choose the type of page you'd like to create
Normally you just wish to create a standard content page, so just select Page. Sometimes your options will be limited to certain types, for example if you have a Blog page type you will only be able to select Blog Posts as the page type for any sub pages.
Different page types will usually have different content fields for you to fill in, and may also have a slightly different layout when the page is viewed. Depending on the functionality of your site, you may also be able to create different page types such as Gallery or News pages.
Click on Create to create the page, your new page will be created though will not go live yet.
You will be taken to a screen where you can enter the content, click on Save & Publish to make it live. Don't forget to give it a Page name!
More about Page Types
There are many different types of pages in SilverStripe, each with its own functionality and purpose. By now you already know how to create a basic page. It is also possible to change a page from one page type to another.
- Page - The most basic page type. It contains content, and has no customised functionality or special purpose. Most pages you create on your site will be of this type.
- Redirector Page - This page type allows creating a page that will automatically redirect to another page on the same website or another website. It's useful for having more than one link in the navigation menu that goes to the same page, or for creating short URLs for deep nested pages. For example www.yourwebsite.com/offer could be a Redirector Page for www.yourwebsite.com/featured/spring/current-offer
- Virtual Page - A virtual page uses the content of another page. This is different from a redirector, as a redirector links one location on the website to another, while a virtual page copies the content of the other page. Editing the page the virtual page is based on will, in turn, edit the copied virtual page. This is useful for when you require the same content in two different places with unique URLs for each instance.
Other types of pages:
Depending on the setup of your website, your page type list could contain any number of other page types. These will have been / will be covered in your training session, if you haven't had training or have any questions, please contact us.
Changing an existing page type
To change a page type, look in the Pages pane for the page you wish to change. Click on it, and head to the "Settings" tab in the editing pane. You can change the page type from the "Page type" drop-down menu. Save your changes by pressing "Save Draft" or "Save & Publish" in the actions menu at the bottom of the editing pane.